Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Car Accident Case Closed: Kenny Sia Fulfils Social Responsibility


The wait is finally over.

Kenny Sia has eventually fulfilled his social responsibility as the most popular, automatically rendering him as one of the most influential bloggers in Malaysia as well.

Link: http://www.kennysia.com/archives/2007/05/trauma.php

Previously, many commentators in his blog remarked that he should not post the photos of a deceased in an accident, to respect the unfortunate who passed away in a car accident in Kuching. He was coincidentally at the scene.

For more information, you can read these in sequence before proceeding:
http://sagaladoola.blogspot.com/2007/05/not-unethical-pictures-of-car-accident.html
http://sagaladoola.blogspot.com/2007/05/consumerism-and-car-accident-pictures.html

and The Drifter's Rants blog entry: "The Kenny Sia Controversy"
http://knytan.blogspot.com/2007/05/kenny-sia-controversy.html

He remarked in the comments section in one of the links above, requesting me to check my mail:
http://sagaladoola.blogspot.com/2007/05/waiting-for-kenny-sias-reply-car.html

We discussed with details on the issue at hand and came to a conclusion. You can view his blog for the outcome, and get to see the "Public Service Announcement". The announcement proves that he acknowledges and undertakes his social responsibility to send the right message to his viewers and loyalists.

*~*~*~* Public Service Announcement *~*~*~*
Please note that kennysia.com has received permission from the involved's direct family to publish the photos of the car accident on this website.

kennysia.com wishes to advise anyone reading this entry that not everyone may wish to have these photos published as such. If you encounter a potentially fatal car accident in the future, please always ensure that the victims are safe first and foremost.
*~*~*~* Public Service Announcement *~*~*~*

In his mail, Kenny described at length that he indeed tried his best to save the victims involved with the skills that he had. Diagnosis was performed to decide whether the victims have died or otherwise. The photos were taken after rescuing all potential survivors of the tragedy.



With this, the confusion is cleared that he placed the importance of a rescue operation before photography.

Typically, I do not find the publishing of the deceased kid with protuding legs appealing. Since the family of the victims have given him the permission to publish (I have seen the letter), it would be acceptable as well.

My condolences to all related to the tragedy.

Previously, an issue was made out of this because many commentators (that includes me) dislike the fact that the combination of Kenny Sia's supporters' remarks and the content of this blog entry tend to justify that everyone in this world would be able to accept to see the pictures of their loved ones being photographed and published in such a way in a blog.

It is indeed untrue. As my blog is a socio-political blog, I feel the urge to note this to Kenny and he has agreed that everybody should be sensitive to anyone involved direct or indirectly in any form of tragedies. If those involved dislike the pictures of them or their loved ones to be photographed, then the photos should not be taken. Similarly, if those involved dislike such publishing, then their photos should not be blogged for all to see. This is an ethical thing to do. It is a human right of the deceased and its relations.

He has stated his agreement on the "sensitivity" part in his public service announcement as a token of social responsibility. Considering that a chunk of his viewers are teenagers of pre-teens, he has shown a good example in this case alone. Before we perform deeds in a tragedy, we should consider the consequences and emotions of all involved.

Kudos to him for this case alone.

P.S. Bear in mind Sagaladoola Blog is a socio-political, arts and art-music blog. The content is different than those of kennysia.com . Sagaladoola Blog had never written or interfere in kennysia.com issues except for this case, as there are issues of social ethics, rights and responsibility involved.

Next: Institute of Global Ethics, Princess Diana and the car accident tragedy. How does Diana and the Kuching car accident case tally? An analysis shall be provided....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to point out that when you said "Previously, I made a big issue out of this because many commentators (including me) dislike the fact that the combination of Kenny Sia's supporters' remarks and the blog tend to justify that everyone in this world would be able to accept to see the pictures of their loved ones being photographed and published in such a way in a blog." Doesn't that also mean that all those anti-kenny people are also justifying the exact opposite(including you).

I think what crazylobster said in the last post made sense. By making such a big issue out of it, aren't you in the wrong. If you don't want to see the pictures posted yet link them on your blog, what are you trying to prove? I don't get your point. If you're trying to say that Kenny should NOT have posted the pictures that you shouldn't have linked them. Otherwise, aren't you indirectly posting the pictures on your blog as well?

And I realised that you also ignored crazylobster's point: Since you all have realised that posting pictures of the deceased are unethical, why keep linking it back to his blog and guide more blog readers to view it? Do you think that will make the family of the deceased happier?
I wonder why too.

"I had no choice but to make the link to explain and ask questions the points at hand."
Since you watch Spiderman, then you should know this too:"everyone always has a choice to choose what he wants."

Anyway, I notice that its also thanks to this whole Kenny-and-his-bloody-pictures issue that you've (finally) managed to attract SOME traffic to your blog. But I guess that also means that your blog is going to resume the same old "desertedness" again. Aww... =(

Sagaladoola said...

Hi tsukushi, Kenny Sia fan,

Oh yeah, for your information, this website had 7200 hits before the Kenny Sia issue. Now it is still 7000 plus. It's ok for my website to be deserted with the original 7200 hits. Thank you for your concern and your 'charity'.

Second of all, this is not an Anti-Kenny website. Please do not attempt to paint it that way. The fact is Kenny and I have discussed this issue and came to a compromise and settlement proved this.

If this is an anti-Kenny website (which is not) I would continue attacking but I didn't? Why? Because I am not Anti-Kenny. We go by issue of the Car Accident only.

Besides, if we can't make issues and discuss, then we won't call this blogsphere right? Blogsphere is for discussion and sharing the last I gathered.

Like I said, did you read my reply to crazylobster? I believe you didn't.

Repeated here:
"I had no choice but to make the link to explain and ask questions the points at hand. Otherwise, some Kenny's loyalists would not be able to comprehend the meaning of "ethical", "not unethical" and "unethical"."

Yeah, tsukushi. You are a Kenny Sia loyalist right?

Hmm tsukushi, even with the link you do not understand the meaning. How do you expect me to explain it without a link?

See what you wrote here?
tsukushi said: "what are you trying to prove? I don't get your point"

By the way, Kenny as a gentleman has spoken with me.

Oh yeah tsukushi, I did not say that Kenny's pictures was unethical any part in the posting. I even said it is "NOT" unethical.

Your reply and crazylobster seems to highlight that the pictures are unethical? Why? Why did you say that?

As for your remarks, "everyone has a choice that he wants", I would say you are right. Every family victim has a choice of whether to allow a photographer to publish or not publish the victims deadly pictures, which Kenny and I have compromisingly agree.

I am sorry, what was the issue again?

Anonymous said...

The issue is that by dissing kenny, u also put yourself together with the anti-kenny people. That does not mean you are anti-kenny. When i added "(including you)", it means that you are also trying to freaking best to justify your belief that the pictures should NOT be put up. I don't know whether is it because you're purposely misunderstanding my point, but I'd just like to emphasize that "even with the link you do not understand the meaning. How do you expect me to explain it without a link?". Aren't you also directing people to see those pictures? Note: I never mentioned that you were unethical. Unless of course, you care to admit it. This is the quote from my comment:"posting pictures of the deceased are unethical". No mentions about you. =) Maybe Malaysians study a different version of English.

By the way, I'm not a Kennysia loyalist. Yes I do read his entries but the reason I'm commenting is because I don't understand why people HAVE to flame other people's blogs. If you don't like what you read, then the "X" is just a click away.

Anyways... By (attempting to) link the car tragedy thingy and the accident of Princess Diana, is it respectful to do so? After all, Princess Diana is dead too. Maybe you should get her (or her family's) consent before you do your analysis?

Sagaladoola said...

Hi tsukushi,

Did I diss Kenny? Did I say he is unethical? Did I say that you accused me of being unethical?

I just said he is "NOT" unethical. Are you confused?

No, right? If yes, which part?

Did I say that I believe Kenny's pictures should not be put up?

I remember I said, if the family involved gave the consent, then it should be ok.

Tsukushi, you don't understand this point do you?

Repeat:
"I had no choice but to make the link to explain and ask questions the points at hand. Otherwise, some Kenny's loyalists would not be able to comprehend the meaning of "ethical", "not unethical" and "unethical"."

Did I say that the photos are unethical? No, right?

Are you trying to say that Kenny's photos are unethical seeing your consistency in highlighting?

------

Speaking about English, it is ok if you think posting the pictures are unethical. Perhaps, for this, you can go and speak to Kenny, he took and published the photos, not me.

I mean you said this:
-----------
This is the quote from my comment: "posting pictures of the deceased are unethical". No mentions about you. =) Maybe Malaysians study a different version of English.
-----------

-----------------

Your comment:
"Yes I do read his entries but the reason I'm commenting is because I don't understand why people HAVE to flame other people's blogs. If you don't like what you read, then the "X" is just a click away. "

Aren't YOU FLAMING my blog?

Ohh yeah, you can locate X button on top if you want to close it. I mean you said it, not me... Hehehe. Just kidding. I have manners. You can read whatever you want here even if you do not like it. Free to comment on what you dislike.

-----------------

Your comment:
" Anyways... By (attempting to) link the car tragedy thingy and the accident of Princess Diana, is it respectful to do so? After all, Princess Diana is dead too. Maybe you should get her (or her family's) consent before you do your analysis? "

REPLY:
Analysis (Written Words) and Pictures (Photographs) are two different things?

Are you confused or having some problems with English?

Anonymous said...

This is is so getting nowhere lah... Because your brain just cannot comprehend what I'm trying to say. Haiz... That's sad.

Maybe Princess Diana's wouldn't want you to compare her accident to the Malaysian car tragedy?

Sagaladoola said...

Hi tsukushi,

1) I would gather you do not understand what I am trying to say.

2) Kenny gathered what I intended to say. He replied and made a public service announcement. That would make 2 of our brains working correctly. 2 person over 1 (that is you). Kenny got it, but not you. Seems like your brain is not working I guess.

3) As for this question:
"Maybe Princess Diana's wouldn't want you to compare her accident to the Malaysian car tragedy?"

In Italy and various parts of Europe, putting pictures of deceased in print is considered a violation of human right.

Analysis and thesis of tragedies are not violations. It is essential for society to move on.

I believe you made thesis and analysis for your college / university projects as well? Not to mention those who made thesis about World War II and other wars.

If not all, analysis is meant to stress to the society the importance of preserving peace and avoid accidents as a human right to live.

Analysis (words) and Pictures (photos) are two different things?

So, are you confused again?

I put it to you, your own words:
"Because your brain just cannot comprehend what I'm trying to say. Haiz... That's sad."

Ohh yeah, it seems like you have a liking to tell people to use the "x" on the browser. I hope more people will tell you to do the same way too.

I am sure you do not mind such request, seeing that you like to use the same phrases on others. I am sure you always think before you speak (pun intended .. hehehe)

Regards ...

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought that you're the one who is unable to comprehend MY point? No... Because sagie must always be right.

Analysis and thesis of tragedies are not violations. It is essential for society to move on.

vs

Maybe Princess Diana's wouldn't want you to compare her accident to the Malaysian car tragedy?

Did I say anything abut violations? o.O?

Princess Diana might be dead. She might allow the whole world to say or write anything they want about her. Maybe just not you. You got to pray to her first ya know... get her consent... Hmm hmm...

Sagaladoola said...

TK said:
"Have you ever thought that you're the one who is unable to comprehend MY point? No... Because sagie must always be right."

REPLY:
Oh, I see, that is your point? Now, I understand clearly. Thank you.

----------------

TK said:
Maybe Princess Diana's wouldn't want you to compare her accident to the Malaysian car tragedy?

REPLY:
Nice try, TK.

----------------

TK said:
Did I say anything abut violations? o.O?

REPLY:
Did you?

----------------

TK said:
Princess Diana might be dead. She might allow the whole world to say or write anything they want about her. Maybe just not you.

REPLY:
Are you Princess Diana?

----------------

TK said:
You got to pray to her first ya know... get her consent... Hmm hmm...

REPLY:
Amen, prayers answered...

The Drifter said...

Sheesh...tk

I thought this issue is already in the past. Even Kenny Sia himself moved on. Why are you so persistent in proving who is right and who is wrong here?

Some part of your comments are border lining on flaming if they aren't already. Not to mention that your underlying meanings are really rude.

Since you put it this way what different are you from those anti-kenny sia? Now you are just anti-sagaladoola.

Anonymous said...

It is my first message here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is uncommonly comfort to be adjacent to your community!