Saturday, July 14, 2007

Nat Tan Arrested: My SMS-es to Police

I was reading several blogs listed in Malaysiakini . It seems that Nathaniel Tan of jelas.info was arrested on Friday the 13th (July 2007) by policemen who wanted to speak with him concerning the "internet".

For full account, you can read Elizabeth Wong's Nat: What *YOU* can do to help and Tian Chua's Missing game.

Jeff Ooi has an article on this arrest too. I would say I am quite displeased with the way Nat was arrested and handled.

Accordingly, it was said by Elizabeth Wong:
"On Saturday, the police will either free him by 4.30 pm or, a magistrate will be brought in / or he will be brought to a magistrate where Nat could be remanded up to 10 days."

This is the updated account of what happened from time to time by Thetrialsofcheryl.

Elizabeth Wong called for support. I have sent SMS-es to DCP Victor (Investigating Officer) and ACP Tn Kamaruddin (Cyber Crimes Unit). I may follow up with a mail to IGP Tan Sri Musa Hassan soon.

This is what I wrote in my message:
"Ingin bertanya bilakah polis akan membebaskan nathaniel tan pada sabtu ini yang blogger kata 'hilang' 6 jam kemudian dilokap tanpa 'charges' di ipd dang wangi. Adakah ini memenuhi hak asasi manusia dan undang-undang? Kalau tidak, sila bebaskan dia secepat mungkin."

Translation:
"May I inquire when will the police release nathaniel tan this saturday; the person that bloggers purportedly said was last for 6 hours and currently locked-up without any charges in ipd dang wangi. Does this action fulfil the basic human rights and law? If it does not, please release him as soon as possible."

Some may ask why I am doing this? Am I a member of the opposition Keadilan?
The answer is "No".

As a blogger myself, I believe everyone deserves to have the freedom to speak. As a Malaysian, we have human rights and law. If there is any form of potential injustice to any fellow Malaysian, we have to be alert and speak up.

Quoting a poem quoted by KTemoc Konsiders

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.


First they came … is a poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. (From Wiki).

P.S. I am impatiently waiting for more information on this issue

No comments: